It is highly recommended to use professional hair salon quality products. A moisture only shampoo and conditioner to wash your hair extensions. We recommend L'Oreal professional products such as Matrix Total Results Moisture me rich shampoo and conditioner, Redken All Soft shampoo and conditioner, Mizani moisture fusion shampoo and conditioner.
Steps to follow:
- Brush your hair extensions starting at the bottom and softly brushing towards the top.
- Tie your hair extensions in a loose ponytail with a soft hair band.
- In your basin run the water over the hair extensions from the top towards the bottom, you can use a milking action from top to bottom of the hair extensions.
- Using your salon professional shampoo, emulsify the shampoo between both hands and then milk your hair extensions, never rubbing hard, wait a couple of minutes and rinse your hair extensions under a running tap. If you are in Cape Town with the water restrictions you might want to save the water.
- Towel dry your hair extensions, and like with your own hair you should never rub your hair up and down, only go in line with the cuticle of the hair, thereby not damaging your cuticles.
- Apply your moisture professional conditioner, working it through with a wide tooth comb or tangle teaser, or wet brush. Allow the extension to soak up the conditioner for at least 5 to 10 minutes.
- Rinse your hair extensions under running water, until water runs clear.
- Towel dry your hair extensions and allow to dry over night, else you can rough dry your extensions with a hair dryer, hold your hair extensions and just move the hair dryer around the hair extensions until dry.
- Once your hair extensions are dry, use a thermal heat protector if using a hair straightening iron. We recommend Matrix Total Results Mega Sleek Iron Smoother, as it will keep your hair extensions soft. Take note that if the thermal protector does not mention heat protection for hair straightening, it might only have enough heat protection for blow waving and not the high temperatures of a straightening iron. Never put your straightening iron over 210 degrees Celsius as your can end up burning and damaging your hair extensions. This temperature should only be used in-salon when your stylist is apply a Brazilian / keratin treatment. Its the easiest to get someone to hold your hair extensions, while you style them, else if no one is home, you can use a draw, but closing the top of the extensions in the draw, just watch out for the clips that you do not damage them. Using a tail comb glide your hair straightener over the extensions, rather slowly once then going over the hair extensions quickly numerous times, as this will also cause damage due to excess heat. We recommend using a GHD, Cloud9, Veaudry Styling Iron.
As your clip-in hair extensions do not have oil glands, they will not get oily like your own hair, so you will not need to wash them like you do your own. If you have clubbing, near a braai, or smokers, you can rather allow your hair extensions to air dry, if this does not work, then give them a wash. You will feel when your hair extensions need to be washed, they will feel like they have build up on them. Else you can ask one of your nicciG hair extensions salons to wash and prepare your hair extensions for you, and even add a moisture treatment, salons usually will offer this service at a fee.
It is highly recommended not to bleach your hair extensions, you will only be able to make your hair extensions darker, which must be done by a professional hair salon who has experience with nicciG clip-in hair extensions, your stylist will use an ammonia free color on the hair extensions.